Millions of Americans are tossing and turning in their beds staring at the ceiling or the alarm clock. Many of them are taking mind altering over-the-counter sleep aids that are now being linked to a possible risk for Alzheimer’s disease. Let’s look at some healthy tips to improve your sleep and wake up refreshed.
- Avoid eating sugar after 6pm
- Avoid anything with coffee in it.
- Caffeine can delay the release of melatonin in the brain by 40%. Melatonin is the pineal gland hormone that is produced by outdoor light, so it’s a good idea to get at least 30 minutes of natural sunshine each day. Sunshine is not only great for acquiring your vitamin D3, but is needed for positive mental health.
- Avoid dark chocolate after 6pm
- Dark chocolate in general is great to improve attention and focus and with millions of people losing sleep, we don’t want our minds thinking while trying to get some shut eye.
Over-the-counter Sleep Meds
We’ve all used these sleep aids and many people are using Benadryl, Nyquil or AdvilPM as sleep aids and this is a big no-no! These are used for medicinal purposes and if you are not sick or in pain, these are not to be used for general sleep.
Natural Sleep Remedies You’ll Love!
- This essential fatty acid contains GLA. Gamma linolenic acid converts into a hormonal substance called prostaglandin, which can fight inflammation within the body. Borage oil also helps the adrenal glands to relax.
- If you wake up a few times in the middle of the night, it’s a sign your adrenal glands are weak, which most likely means you are dealing with chronic stress.
- A dose of 240-480mg at bedtime will help one fall asleep. The other benefits is improved skin health.
- Do not use if you are taking blood thinners.
- Boost the level of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in your brain. This compound lowers brain activity, which may help you relax and sleep better.
- No morning hangover! This is a much better choice than the herb Valerian which can cause a morning hangover and we don’t want that!
- The main and active ingredients in Kava root are unique plant chemicals known as ‘kavalactones’ , which interfere with the level and function of certain neurotransmitters in the bloodstream. Among those affected are dopamine, GABA (gamma aminobutyric acid), and norepinepherine. These chemicals are known to help induce relaxation and sleep.
- Kava helps to lower alpha brain waves, which are responsible for helping us focus and learn. We want to focus and learn when we’re awake, not when we want to relax and go to sleep.
- This particular probiotic bacteria is very important to help produce the brain neurotransmitter serotonin. When Bifidobacteria infantis is combined with amino acid tryptophan in the gut, it will produce serotonin and then travel back up the vagus nerve to the brain, thus helping you relax, relieve depression and yes, fall asleep in the evening.
- Gut health is vital for proper functioning of the brain and our mental health.